Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to cut out a snowflake. Use these images and tips to make cutting snowflakes an amazing experience for your family. Plus paper snowflakes would make fabulously inexpensive decor four your next holiday party!
Cutting Snowflakes with the Family
My kids love to cut paper snowflakes the old-fashioned way. This involves folding paper and cutting out a bunch of chunks. After that, they will open it up to reveal the surprising shape.
It’s fun to wonder how the snowflake will look while cutting it. Not to mention, it’s super exciting to see its final result as you unfold it!
Cutting random snowflakes is a great activity for a wintry day. Just like real snowflakes, paper ones can come in many unique forms. So it’s definitely OK not to overthink it!
However, as an adult I’ve wished to repeat some perfect snowflakes. Some get too heavy or thin in certain areas. Or they can become overly rounded or make unusual shapes. I have often wished I knew exactly where to cut to get that perfect paper snowflake.
CUTTING PERFECT SNOWFLAKES
Several years ago I made a couple of really beautiful snowflakes. I knew immediately what to do. I quickly folded them back up so I could trace over a cutting template.
Time and time again, I use my paper snowflakes templates to make it just right. Get your copy of my cutting template for free using the email form at the end of this post!
Paper snowflakes can be a great inexpensive way to decorate for a party or event, but if you are going to be putting the snowflakes on display like that, it would be nice to be able to repeat a perfect snowflake over and over again, so here’s how to do it…
How to Make Snowflakes Out of Paper
Today I’m sharing my method for making perfect snowflakes. You can tape them up on a window, string on a garland, or scatter at a party. (Go see the Frozen Birthday Party we created with these snowflakes!)
You can use this tutorial for Christmas, or you can use it to celebrate winter any other time of the year! Many of our friends out in Virginia are having a crazy amount of snow days with their kids home from school. Of course, be sure to pin this post as well. That way you will have it handy for winter fun next year!
Basic tools you’ll need:
- Plain or lightweight paper
- Sharpened scissors
- Paper Snowflake Template (free download at the end of this post)
Other optional tools to take your snowflake craft to the next level:
- Tissue paper
- Colorful / metallic paper
- Cricut machine
- Garland string
- Small hole puncher
- Glue stick
How to Cut Out a Snowflake with this Paper Snowflakes templates
Follow these step-by-step instructions to prep you paper to use with the paper snowflakes templates.
(1) Start with a square piece of paper. You can begin by cutting your regular rectangular piece of paper down to a square. The template is sized for 8.5” x 8.5” squares, so you can trim the longest side down to that size to fit it. But you can use this same idea to make snowflakes any size.
(2) Fold the paper in half and crease.
(3) Fold the paper in half again. Then use the tip of your finger to mark the top of the crease. This is your halfway point. Unfold so you’re back at the half in step two.
(4) Fold both ends inward in thirds. They should come to a point at the mark you made in step three.
(5) The gives you a peek at the perfect thirds you want.
(6) Once you make a triangle shape, crease it well. Now you’re done folding the paper!
(7) Trace the shapes of one of our paper snowflakes cutting template onto your folded paper. (Get the free template download via the email form at the end of this post.)
(8) Cut out the shapes. We use sharp, detail scissors, but a craft knife can also be handy for cutting out shapes in the middle of the paper.
Carefully unfold the paper to reveal your perfect paper snowflake!
How to make snowflakes out of paper & BEYOND!
Now that you know how to cut out a snowflake, are you ready to try something more? From here, you can make paper snowflakes in different sizes using larger sheets of papers. You can also use various paper colors or thicknesses too. Imagine how amazing it would be to have snowflakes out of transparent vellum — oooh! Maybe even tin foil?!
You can also dress up your paper snowflakes by gluing on glitter or sequins to make the ultimate flake. Or you can sprinkle glitter on its glued surface and make them shimmer in your Christmas lights.
The possibilities are endless to make your own creative, perfect paper snowflakes. At the end of the day, just make sure you have fun this winter with your family!
Download my Snowflakes Template
- Thanksgiving Kids Table & Thankful Chain
- How to Make a Sundial + Summer Activities
- Party Planning Checklist: How To Plan a Party & Keep Your Sanity!
- How To Make a Face Mask – No Sewing Needed!
- Easy Homemade Applesauce Recipe in a Crockpot
- How to Do a Mermaid Manicure
- Fresh Cuts: Everything Mermaids SVG Cut Files
- Organization Ideas for Moms
- Family Fun: Bubble Gum Blowing Contest!
- Ideas for Teacher Appreciation Week
- New Gender Reveal Party Printables
- Free Printable St. Patrick’s Day Decor
40 thoughts on “How to Cut Out a Snowflake – Perfect Every Time”
Gorgeous!! ALL my snowflakes have worked out perfectly! I am using them to make snowflakes to sew onto a Frozen canopy that I am making for my daughters 7th birthday present! Many thanks for a easy to understand and brilliant tutorial – well done!!
Love the idea. Why didn’t I think of it earlier?!
these w beautiful? Thanks for the templates!
Thank you…teaching granddaughter how to!
I WOULD LOVE THAT SNOWFLAKE PATTERN PLEASE! THANKS!
I cant get it to work can you send via email aTTACHMENT please?
Please send me the two templates for snowflakes. Thank you.
I would APPRECIATE the templates, please.
Great instructions! Thanks!
AWESOME!! Really need this and great inst
have always loved cutting snowflakes for christmas and winter time. Loved the templates, they make beautiful snowflakes and are simple.
How can i find the template for the snowflakes? THanks!
These are great patterns!
can’t wait to be able to use the templates to decorate my office
I would like the templates for the perfect snowflakes PLEASE thanks -Lee
I WOULD LIKE THE TEMPLATES FOR SNOWFLAKES PLEASE.
Hi. I would like the snowflake templates please.
Please can YOU SEND ME THE snowflake TEMPLATES PLEASE?
It says there’s a free download of the templates at the end of the article. I don’t see it. Where is the download?
Hi! where do we find the link to download the template? didn’t see it at the end of the post. thank you!
Beautiful snowflakes!!! my students love to do this and decorate our room with them. thank you!
Great for children to cut out and lots of fun!
Please send the snowflake templates.
These look great- Id love to receive the templates, thanks.
Excited to get these snowflake templates to do with the grandkids, thank you
I would love the template, thank you
Can I get the templates, please
Please send template :)
i would love to get the templates please.
Please send the templates?
I would appreciate receivng the snowflake templates. thank you
I would like to receive the snowflake templates. thank you!
I would love to receive the snowflake templates
I would love to try using the snowflake templates. Thank you.
pLEASE SEND THE SNOWFLAKE TEMPLATES. tHANKS!
I too would love the snow flake template. Thank you, michelle
Can i please get a copy of the snowflake templates?
Thank you so much!
I would love to try using the snowflake templates. Thank you.
I would love the template, please.
I would love to have the templates please. Thanks so much!