The local NBC affiliate here in Phoenix asked us to create some Olympic-inspired activities to share on the Arizona Midday show this Friday (if you live in Phoenix be sure to tune in to Channel 12 during the 1pm hour to catch our live segment!). We were honored to be included in their Olympic coverage and since it’s the closest either Aimée or I will ever get to being in the Olympics we’ve given it our gold-medal effort!
We rolled out a clump of clay onto wax paper. We traced a circle cookie cutter (a mason jar lid would also work) to create the medal’s basic circular shape by pressing the cookie cutter into the clay very lightly. We did the actual cutting with a small knife so we could add in that rectangular loop at the top for stringing the ribbon. I gave my girls a variety of items we had lying around the house (baby food lids, a hotel keycard, wooden cuticle sticks and a marker cap) to help with carving their design into the medals.
After letting the medals dry thoroughly we applied two coats of metallic gold spray paint. Of course you could also spray paint the medallions in silver or bronze if you’re trying to make an award medals set as for a party game or something, but my girls both wanted GOLD (and who can blame them!)
I found pretty purple ribbon that reminded me of the photos I’ve seen of the London 2012 Summer Games medals. Compare the photo above to the real gold medal, and I think you’ll be impressed!
I threaded one yard of ribbon through each medal’s loop then tied the ends together in a knot. I brought the knot around so it would lay hidden behind the medal.
For more Olympic ideas check out my Olympic board on Pinterest.
- Party Planning Checklist: How To Plan a Party & Keep Your Sanity!
- Easy Homemade Applesauce Recipe in a Crockpot
- “Second Star To The Right” Neverland Baby Shower
- Easy Fiesta Decor & Piñata Fringe Cut File
- DIY Nature Journal: Easy Beginner Cricut Project
- How to Make Harry Potter Chocolate Frogs + Free Printable Chocolate Frog Box
- New Gender Reveal Party Printables
- Make an 80s Slip-Knot Friendship Bracelet
- Ninja Birthday Party
- Remembrance Day Red Poppies
- Holy Rhombus Batman!
- Halloween Handwriting Printable