Continuing with our week of Easter Basics… now that you know how to hard-boil eggs, we figured it would be fun to share how to make your own Easter Egg Dye. This DIY egg dye recipe will come in handy should you forget to buy one of those packets with the dye tablets (like I did last year), but actually I am so happy I forgot because it forced me to learn how to make my own Easter egg dye. It is surprisingly easy, and with homemade egg dye you can create fun, custom colors!
You will need a separate glass container for each color of Easter egg dye that you want to make. Note that plastic or ceramic containers may be ruined by dye. We prefer wide-mouth mason jars because we have several of them handy and the glass is sturdy. It’s totally fine to adjust the recipe (cut in half or double) to suit the size of your container.
DIY Easter Egg Dye Recipe
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 10-20 drops food coloring (see color mixing chart below)
how to make egg dye
Add the hot water and vinegar to each container. Drop in your food coloring and mix well. Place hard-boiled eggs in dye for 5 minutes or longer to achieve desired color vibrancy. Let dry.
More of a visual learner? Here’s a video I made showing how to make homemade Egg Dye:
custom color mixing chart for homemade Easter Egg Dye
Of course you can make Easter egg dye in just the straight colors that came in your food color set, but the fun really begins when you start mixing things together! You can begin by trying out some of our favorite color combinations below to or mix up your own custom blends.
Color mixing chart
Our family loves to use the Neon food coloring set for an added range of color options.
- ORANGE = 17 yellow + 3 red
- RASPBERRY = 14 red + 6 blue
- PLUM = 10 red + 4 blue
- PURPLE = 15 blue + 5 red
- TEAL = 15 green + 5 blue
- MINT = 12 green + 4 yellow + 2 blue
- LIME = 15 yellow + 5 green
Here’s a handy color chart we found from McCormick:
Don’t know how to Hard-Boil Eggs? We can help!
- Thanksgiving Kids Table & Thankful Chain
- Instant Pot Tacos Recipe
- Easy Homemade Applesauce Recipe in a Crockpot
- “Diaper Bash” Emoji Party Ideas for a Funny Emoji Baby Shower
- Spider Egg Popcorn Recipe
- Preppy Navy Valentines LOVE Banner
- Free Printable Statue of Liberty Crown
- Free Printable Whoopee Cushion Valentines
- Send a Hug
- Worksheet Wednesday: Imagination Workout
- My Favorite Christmas Treat
- Name The Picture – Short “O”