If you are looking for easy Thanksgiving Kids Craft ideas then this free template is for you! We are having a lot of fun with our colorful Tin Can Drums, and they are super easy to make with recycled tin cans, balloons, rubber bands and our free wrap template.
We created this project a few months ago since it was for the November issue of Raising Arizona Kids magazine. Not sure how many of you realize, but deadlines for print magazines are a couple months ahead of real time, so it’s actually pretty amazing that these drums we made during the summer are still being played with in our home.
I guess we should have known we’d made a hit when the kids wouldn’t even leave them alone long enough for photographs. We honestly were not planning to shoot these Tin Can Drums with the kids, but they kept sneaking into the photos since they couldn’t resist the urge to beat on these drums. So finally I just decided to snap a few with them in it too.
These drums can also double as a centerpiece for the kids table at your Thanksgiving feast.
I’m sure your little ones will enjoy keeping a beat on these tribe-inspired drums. We considered making mallets, but our kids were totally satisfied just using their hands. Plus a hand drum is much quieter, a fact we’re sure moms everywhere can appreciate!
How to Make Tin Can Drums
Made from just balloons and recycled cans, these Tin Can Drums can also double as a centerpiece for the kids table a your Thanksgiving feast.
- Gather and clean open cans in various sizes.
- Cut and discard the skinny neck off a balloon and stretch the larger piece over the can’s opening. A 12-inch balloon will cover a 15- or 28-ounce can. To cover oversized No. 10 cans, you can find larger 24-inch balloons at a party store.
- Secure balloon with a rubber band or tape.
- Finish your drum by wrapping with the free printable can wrap template available below.
More Thanksgiving Kids Craft Ideas
- Caramel Corn Cobs
- Dipped Nutter Butter Cookies + Free Printable Gift Tag
- Popsicle Stick Corn, Crow & Scarecrow
- DIY Woodland Folk Toys
- Footprint Turkey Shirts
- Glove Turkey Snack Bags
- Simple & Modern Thanksgiving Tree Art
- Easy Silk Flower Turkey
- Upcycled Handprint Turkey Craft
- Stamped Thumbprint Turkeys
- Thanksgiving Class Gift for Teacher
About the author
Bettijo is the founder and designer of Paging Supermom where she shares what she's dreamed up for family fun. Known for practical and kid-friendly activities, free printables and simple ideas for holidays. She is a single mom of three girls and one boy. Bettijo was a guest on the Martha Stewart Show and has frequently appeared on local television. Her work has also been featured in national magazines including Real Simple, O, Redbook, Parents, Family Circle, and Health. During quieter moments, she enjoys art, retro-modern design, photography and making new things. Bettijo lives with her four kiddos in Phoenix, Arizona.