In honor of National Doughnut Day today our family had delicious homemade donuts with breakfast! What?! You’ve never heard of National Doughnut Day? I hadn’t either until a few weeks ago, but don’t worry it’s not too late to use this greatest excuse to eat a bunch of doughnuts — you can celebrate tonight by making some as a family!
I’m sure there are lots of recipes out there for making doughnuts from scratch, but I’m going to share my own Supermom’s easy shortcut recipe. Since before I can remember our family has made doughnuts at home using buttermilk pop biscuits as the dough. That’s right — no measuring or kneading, just pop, fry, eat! In fact, we always keep a couple of cans of pop biscuits in the fridge for when we need a quick and delicious treat. (I crave these almost every Sunday night!)
Easy Homemade Doughnuts
:: A couple of cans of pop biscuits (have more people, use more biscuits!)
:: Cooking oil
:: Powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar or both!
Heat oil in a medium saucepan. Pop biscuits and shape into a doughnut — this is where the family fun comes. My favorite part as a kid was shaping my own donuts, and my kids love it just as much as I did. You can braid them, make a face… get creative!
Next Mom or Dad fries the shaped biscuit dough in the hot oil until the edge turns golden; flip over to finish frying the other side. Remove the cooked doughnut from the oil and place on a plate lined with a paper towel. Let stand for about 30 seconds then coat with powdered sugar or cinnamon and sugar.
VERY IMPORTANT: Eat these doughnuts while they’re still warm. Oh, and try not to eat too many. Enjoy!
- Cut Shrinky Dinks With Cricut + Sweet DIY Gift Ideas
- Instant Pot Tacos Recipe
- Easy Homemade Applesauce Recipe in a Crockpot
- DIY Nature Journal: Easy Beginner Cricut Project
- STEM Fun: How to Make Bristle Bots
- Moana Kakamora Treat Bars
- Family Fun: Bubble Gum Blowing Contest!
- Inside Out Free Printables + Movie Review
- Spider Egg Popcorn Recipe
- Worksheet Wednesday: Easter Egg Fractions
- Twister-Inspired “Loopsy” Party Game
- Simple Leprechaun Dress Up