What are the things that you can’t live without? I don’t mean water and air. Beyond the basic necessities, what are the little luxuries that make your life as a mom easier, better, happier? We’re curious about what things help keep other moms sane; so we’re starting a new column featuring real moms and the five things they can’t live without. I’ll lead off…
Who: Bettijo B. Hirschi What: Mother of two girls, graphic designer, writer and entrepreneur Where: Phoenix, AZ
1. Peanut Butter. I really love peanut butter, but I can only eat the all-natural stuff (the kind you have to mix up). Laura Scudders has always been my favorite brand. (Just in case you care, Smuckers purchased Laura Scudders and their all-natural peanut butter is now exactly the same as Laura Scudders brand.) It drives me crazy when I go to other people’s houses with their so-called peanut butter — sorry JIF, Skippy and Peter Pan, you’ve got nothing on the real thing. My Dad (who will eat PB by the spoonful) instilled in me a healthy love of Peanut Butter and Honey Toast. It’s my go to when I need to eat something quick but substantial. I’m proud to say that my two daughters are already avid peanut butter eaters.
2. Sateen Sheets. What is it they say about how much of your life is spent sleeping? Not enough, that’s for sure! I think the best moment of my entire day is when I slip between my incredibly smooth cotton sateen sheets — pure bliss! It would not be any fun if I didn’t have amazing sheets. What’s even more amazing is that they’re the Costco Kirkland Signature Brand. I bought my first set five years ago and will never have anything else. I now have two white and one cream set so I never have to sleep a night without them.
3. Peppermint Oil. If I had to pick only one aroma, it would be peppermint — incredibly refreshing and deliciously sweet but never gives me a headache. In fact, it actually cures my headaches faster than Tylenol. Unlike some of my other favorites (eucalyptus), peppermint never smells medicinal and while it is potent, it’s somehow subtle at the same time. If my emotions start boiling over, taking a deep breath of this essential oil helps me regain control and focus.
4. Pencil Skirt. Sometime while I was pregnant with my second daughter, I had an Aha! moment where I realized that anything other than a pencil skirt makes me look five times as big as I really am. This realization (probably bolstered by pregnancy hormones) led me to throw out every skirt in my closet that didn’t have this silhouette. A bit rash? Yes. But I haven’t had a moment’s regret over it. Putting on a sleek black skirt is the quickest way to trim down and a definite must for hiding any baby weight.
5. Lindt Dark Chocolate Truffles. It’s more just chocolate that I can’t live without, but these incredibly creamy truffles are the ultimate decadence. The milk chocolate version is more popular, but even though I’m not a big dark chocolate fan, Lindt’s version of dark is richer without being bitter and more satisfying then their milk chocolate truffle.
What is on your list? Email us and we just might publish it!