This eerie lantern is way more fun than a flashlight to take trick or treating! We recently saw mason jars turned into adorable lanterns, but cringed at the thought of our costumed kiddos tromping through the neighborhood carrying glass. So our spookier version is made from a plastic mayonnaise jar.
SUPPLIES: To make this lantern you’ll need an empty plastic jar (we preferred the Kraft Mayonnaise jar shape) along with tie wire, wire cutters, acrylic craft paint, decoupage paste, paint brush and a battery-operated tealight.
PAINT THE JAR: Pour out about a 1/3 cup of decoupage paste (don’t measure, just estimate), add a small dollop of paint and mix well. Use your paint brush to apply the paint mixture to the inside of the plastic jar. Let dry completely.
ADD THE HANDLE: Cut a four-foot piece of wire and make one end into a hook shape. Wrap wire around the rim of the jar and through your hook. Then, to make the handle, bring the wire piece up over the top and through the wire on the opposite rim. Twist to secure. Continue wrapping the wire around the jar rim once more and secure by twisting around the starting hook. Cut off any excess wire.
- How to Make a Sundial + Summer Activities
- Leprechaun Handprints: Easy St. Patrick's Day Kids Craft
- How to Clean Pennies So They Really Shine + Free Printable
- Easy Homemade Applesauce Recipe in a Crockpot
- Blacklight Party DIY Glow Bubbles Recipe
- How to Make Easter Egg Dye
- Send a Hug
- Worksheet Wednesday: Imagination Workout
- New 'Tangled' Short Opens in Theaters
- Remembrance Day Red Poppies
- Kindergarten Lined Paper Free Printable Template
- Make a Paper Spider