Easy Microwave Popcorn Trick!

Microwave Popcorn Trick #popcorn

We’ve got a Supermom Secret to share today — you never have to buy microwave popcorn again! Add 1/3 cup popcorn kernels to a brown paper bag, fold the bag over twice then heat in a microwave — folded side down — for 2 minutes. THAT’S IT! Fresh popped popcorn without any fuss, ready for you to flavor as desired or eat completely bare. Use this shortcut to make one of our yummy, flavored popcorn recipes: Caramel Popcorn, Honey Glazed Popcorn, Candy Cane Popcorn or Incredibly Easy Popcorn Balls!

Brown Bag Microwave Popcorn Secret Instructions #popcorn

Speaking of popcorn be sure to check out our summer Movie Night party ideas over at One Charming Party including a free printable popcorn box template!

Free Printable Popcorn Box #popcorn

Here are some more fun popcorn ideas

Easiest Popcorn Ball Recipe at PagingSupermom.com

Caramel Corn on the Cob at PagingSupermom.com

About Aimée

Aimée is a co-founder and designer here at Paging Supermom. Although she dreams in pink, she wouldn’t trade her two energetic boys for anything. Between using The Force on surrounding battle droids and flying to infinity and beyond, Aimée enjoys squeezing in some personal creative time. With a background in advertising, marketing and design, she is proud to stay home raising her boys.

Comments

67 Responses to Easy Microwave Popcorn Trick!
  1. […] of rosemary leaves then sauté for about a minute. Pop 1/3 cup of popcorn kernels using your preferred method. Add salt and pepper to olive oil mixture then pour over popcorn. Gently toss until evenly coated. […]

2. Why has this never occured to me before? I wonder if it really works? Oil-free too so healthier :o)

3. Lynda says:

Sounds great, this is a must try….

4. […] Retrieved from http://pagingsupermom.com/2012/07/brown-paper-bag-popcorn/ […]

5. Tiffany says:

What a great idea! I’m going to check that out soon. Thanks for the tip!!

6. Nada says:

my son has Diabetes Insipidus (kidneys cant consume water) so he is on a very low sodium diet and this works perfectely for him THANKS!

7. Nancy says:

OMG!! Super Great Idea, I’m on my way downstairs to try ie out now! Thanks. :)

8. Bea says:

This is absolutely fantastic!!!!!

9. […] Click here for a link to cooking popcorn in the microwave using a brown paper bag. It sounds really […]

10. Kristy says:

This has never worked for me. When microwave popcorn first appeared 30 years ago I tried this and it didnt work. Still doesn’t work for me. Must be doing it wrong?

11. We just did this and it worked! It popped almost every kernel too! We sprinkled a little Parmesan on top… I miss the butter taste but its not bad!

12. Kristi says:

Is there a specific way that I should fold the bag?

13. Megan says:

Totally works! I was so surprised how great this is. I love popcorn and use a air popper at home but it is such a pain to buy bag popcorn. Doing this, I always have kernel corn at home and lunch bags!

14. Me says:

I’ve been doing this since college. I promise it works. Getting the timing just right on different microwaves can be tricky, but the brown bag method 100% works.

15. Jennifer says:

My microwave has a popcorn button, I use that setting and it comes out perfectly every time. A little pinch of Reese brand popcorn salt (it’s super-fine so it just a little bit is enough for the whole bag)in the bag before popping and it’s snack time!

16. Heather says:

Awesome idea, thanks

17. Lisa W. says:

I just tried this and it worked fabulously! Thank you so much for this post! I love that I now can make my own plain salt free popcorn whenever I need a quick snack. :)

18. […] belly laughs are the best, especially when caught on camera. True Dr. Suess titles Brown bag popcorn seems genius A bit of history surprisingly unearthed Dapper Dog A bit of life advice Cutest little […]

19. […] vai precisar de um pouco de milho para pipoca e um saco de papel pardo. Podia ser mais prático? Truque pra não precisar nem sair de casa pra comprar pipoca de […]

20. […] vai precisar de um pouco de milho para pipoca e um saco de papel pardo. Podia ser mais prático? Truque pra não precisar nem sair de casa pra comprar pipoca de […]

21. Dana says:

Great idea. I found after 2 minutes, there were a lot of unpooped kernels. I will longer than 2 minutes next time, but it still worked!!!!!!!

22. Stacey says:

I have white paper lunch bags. Is that okay to use?

23. sarah f says:

Just did it. I’ve been shopping for a popper for months and haven’t been happy with the safety factor. I have never really cared for stove top popping either. This is amazing and so are you. I’m never doing anything but paper bag popcorn again! Thank you thank you thank you. You are my hero.

24. Gloria says:

Back in the 70s, when microwave ovens first came out to the public, I worked at a Sears satellite store(we sold appliances and catalog orders only). Popping popcorn in paper bags was one of our selling demos. Surprised people didn’t know about this!

25. Brandi says:

Ok I must be doing something really wrong because my bottom on my bag blows out every time please help

26. Helen says:

Yes, white bags work just as well as the brown. I just did the experiment with both. After popped, I added popcorn salt and some melted butter, as I am not a fan of air popped. Would be good with a healthy melted coconut oil too! Bye bye Orville :) have a much cheaper way to have my popcorn on a moments notice.

27. […] microwave popcorn bags? You can do it yourself with just a plain paper bag, and some popcorn! Click here to find out the exact […]

28. Phyllis says:

Works like a charm. Eating a bag RIGHT now! Thanks for sharing.

29. I’m almost ashamed to admit I never knew about this! And popcorn is one of the favorite snacks in our house!
    Thank you so much for sharing, this is literally LIFE CHANGING! LOL:)

30. […] Recipe source: pagingsupermom.com […]

31. […] Blue and white carton – A little non traditional this blue and white version is very vintage and cute. […]

32. bad news/preservationist says:

FYI, While this seems like a good idea it is actually bad for you:( Brown paper bags are made from wood pulp and contain a long list of acids, chemicals and carcinogens. When heated they release all of this into our food where we unknowingly consume it!

33. OMG this is life changing for a popcorn addict like me! :)

34. microwaveguru says:

While it seems like a great idea and work, it is also very vulnerable to fires if the popcorn is overheated. Be very careful! Commercial popcorn bags contain a fire retardant

35. Becki says:

I just made this. It worked! And it tastes like REAL popcorn. Healthier too!

36. Kara says:

Do not try!!! Mine started on fire in the microwave in less than 10 seconds. Not sure what kind of hoax this was but if I would have walked out of the room our house would have been on fire!

37. […] sticks Butter Half a Bag of Large Marshmallows (about 22) 3 bags of Microwave Popcorn 1/2 teaspoon Peppermint Extract 4 Candy Canes, crushed 1/4 teaspoon […]

38. Lori says:

Neat idea, but not really safe to be eating food popped in brown bags per the USDA. I used to do this in college, but haven’t tried it in years because I had heard it was unsafe. I found this: But the U.S. Department of Agriculture Food Safety and Inspection Service ( http://www.fsis.usda.gov) says never use brown paper bags in the microwave.

Kathy Bernard, technical information specialist for the USDA’s Meat and Poultry Hotline, says it’s because they “don’t know what (the bags) are made of, what can cook out of them and many are made from recycling.”

The Popcorn Board supports the USDA stance. The board suggests that folks use a pan with a lid on the stovetop.

39. Trudy says:

Just tries this today (4/26/14) and it worked great. I did have to reduce the time to 1 min 40 sec cause 2 made some burn but awesome trick. I will do this again!

40. I enjoy what you guys are up too. This kind of clever work and reporting!
    Keep up the great works guys I’ve included you guys to my blogroll.

41. I’ve been surfing online more than three hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours.
    It is pretty worth enough for me. In mmy opinion, if all site owners
    and bloggers made good content as you did, the net will be a lot more useful
    than eveer before.

42. Hi there! I simply would like to give you a huge thumbs up for the excellent information you’ve got rigbht here
    on thuis post. I will be coming back to your web site for more soon.

43. Stacey says:

Is this gluten free? Someone pinned it under that n I’m curious?

44. The Trifk For swarovski cystal vape pen

45. The Key Forr swarovski crystal on nails

46. Arthur says:

The Secret For swarovski crystal vajazzle

47. However, this scene changed when more programmers became
    aware of virus programming and started building viruses that manipulated and
    destroyed data on infected computers. Advertisers all over the place, advertising everything underneath the sun.

To report stolen email addresses at Yahoo, click Yahoo.

48. This will get you traffic to your site and make money.

They only want your money and they want as much of it as they can possibly get.
    It’s probably some mix of the two, so I have to give him props for not going too far in either direction.

49. […] I made popcorn as an afternoon snack for me and the kids using the paper bag method. […]

50. They are a very good way to promote business service.
    As the culture of internet slang grew, it took on new origins from pop culture
    or video games and television. It’s probably

51. Great kids says:

May I simply say what a comfort to uncover someone that genuinely knows what
    they’re discussing on the internet. You definitely know how to bring an issue to light and make it important.
    More and more people must look at this and understand this side
    of the story. It’s surprising you’re not more popular because you definitely have the gift.

52. Lets begin with stating among the information about this excellent revolutionary weight-reduction plan capsule
    and metabolism price booster. There are various surgical methods to combat obesity.

The science behind Adiphene consists of 12 of probably the
    most power fat preventing ingredients known.

53. You don’t really need to worry about this as this fee will not take a lot of money from your bankroll.
    You get more affiliate commissions by cultivating
    this sense of community. If so, you can make money
    online answering phone calls for businesses.