DIY Spooky Halloween Banner

I am so excited for October; Halloween is my favorite holiday. To kick off my decorating this year I just designed a “Spooky” banner for our fireplace and created a printable template that you can download (for free!) to make your own.

It is so easy to make — I whipped mine together in a half hour. Printed the template out on white cardstock, cut out the flags, used a hole punch on each flag and then strung them together using purple seem binding. (To help things thread smoothly, I taped the end of the binding with masking tape to create a sort of needle.)

After I hung it up, my husband suggested it would have a fun eerie effect printed on translucent vellum (such a Superdad!), but really that is what I love about this banner — it is so easy to customize and make it your own. How about orange paper for a super-festive look or off-white cardstock to give it a vintage feel?

Plus there are lots of options for stringing: yarn, ribbon, embroidery thread, fishing line, sew the flags together with a zigzag stitch. Aimee suggested tying knots with fabric scraps in between each flag. I can’t wait to see how her banner turns out! If you decide to make one yourself, please be sure to post a photo on our new Facebook page. In fact, please drop by today and “like” our page so you won’t miss a thing.

About Bettijo

Bettijo is a co-founder and designer here at Paging Supermom. More importantly, she is a mother of four -- three girls and a boy. During quieter moments, she enjoys art, retro-modern design, photography and making new things. In 2003 Bettijo founded an organic bath and spa products brand, Bath By Bettijo, which has been regularly featured in national magazines including Real Simple, Martha Stewart Living, Whole Living, O, EveryDay with Rachel Ray, Health, Lucky, Shape and more.

Comments

19 Responses to DIY Spooky Halloween Banner
  1. Ellen says:

I am going to make this banner this weekend! I love autumn and all the holidays it contains. I think I will try vellum paper to print it on. Or maybe orange paper. Hm. Maybe a layered look would be fun too…

2. Dana Broderick says:

That is adorable! I love it! Cute paper!!! I tried to become a fan but couldn’t see where I do that….

3. I know what I’m doing this weekend! I bet my boys will insist on classic orange paper. I’m hoping to convince them of a little purple or green, too. Love the music notes as the background pattern.

4. Cassidy says:

I love this!!!! And, Bettijo – where did you take your family picture? I’ve been trying to find a place like that to take clients!

5. Liz says:

I’ll have to give this a try this weekend.

6. Sandi says:

Thank you! Its really cute!

7. [...] healthy meals all week. (I’ll share those recipes/tricks later.) AND my boys and I put together Bettijo’s DIY Spooky Banner. I love it. So simple and fun! Here’s my version with a few of the other decorations I have set [...]

8. Next you frost your cookies with a background
    of white or light-colored frosting. Options of the Canon CD-200 model includes Windows 3.
    You might look to a future where people print their own gun
    designs or other weapons using 3-D printing.

9. Sherrill says:

For individuals living at the high altitude, you will need to adjust
    the cooling time. Then you pull out with the driveway and wonder your entire day should you made the correct decision
    or not. Freshly ground coffee is really a lot tastier than coffee made out
    of pre-ground coffee containing been on coffee shelves or perhaps in warehouses for months.

10. Rocky says:

Furthermore, every category of watch comes filled with functionality which you may or may
    well not use. Limited edition Frogman like the Brazilian, Men in Yellow, Black Helios and Black Spots are some
    of the most desirable Frogman. The newest generation Frogman will be the Tough Solar GW-200.

11. Nichole says:

Speaker sensitivity is the decibel output of the speaker (otherwise known as speaker efficiency).
    Talk about keeping ahead from the pack-it appears as if
    everyone has been trying to figure out the secret recipe for Definitive’s success.
    How could this type of music enthusiast not have a property music system in her house.

12. Tabitha says:

Copper cookware is considered the heaviest among all cookware.
    Regardless of whether or not you love to cook, it really is crucial that each and every kitchen have a decent
    kitchen cookware set readily obtainable. Copper kitchenware
    has all of the features essential that you could possibly need in an amazing cookware set, and are available
    all kinds of designs, shapes, sizes, and prices.

13. Meridith says:

The company also guarantees the durability of its parts.

From decaf, to breakfast blends, dark roasts, extra bold, flavored coffees, world-class hot chocolates, ciders and more,
    you’ll have scores of options with the k cup system on your single-cup
    brewing. Either way, you simply can’t get a better quality drip
    coffee brewer for THIS price.

14. Maynard says:

- Emergency Ponchos – These provide warmth and shelter for your
    family. With school books, notebooks, computers, video games, cell phones
    (not to mention snacks and water bottles), all having become “must have” items.
    You will want to check out the belt to the backpack carrier
    to see if it is long enough to adjust for your comfort.

15. Url.org says:

Polymers in the cleaning product used in this process encapsulate or “crystalise” dirt particles into dry residue after which
    will be removed at the end of the process.

You will find yourself picking up dirt you never imagined was
    around, and which you would not be capable of getting out with many other vacuum cleaners.
    Try to find brands which are highly regarded,
    instead of the higher-end models which will cause you to spend a fortune.

16. Today the web has brought about a wealth of knowledge.
    While you’re testing, you must really tune in to the quality of the
    audio experience from the number of various vantage points.

Everyone available don’t need outstanding music quality
    within their systems.

17. Porcelain is also used in many other industrial applications including
    dental aids. And despite the fact that it’s an important meeting that I wouldn’t
    miss in a thousand years, we always use plastic silverware and paper plates, items that could hardly
    be described as formal dinnerware. Then look no furthest than our Birds in a tree and Birds on a wire Casual Dinnerware sets.

18. Laurence says:

Such a purifier has multiple functions, from which you can benefit a lot.
    Simply place the unit in a central location in your home and select the desired cleaning setting to match the size of your environment as well as
    fan speed and Fresh – Air Surround’s mold-killing vapor will arrest
    mold growth in as little as 2- 4 hours.
    Being like a tower, it occupies little space keeping the
    floor space free.